Re: conffiles versus configuration files

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980601120100.9909A-100000@blaakmeer.student.utwente.nl>,
	Remco Blaakmeer <remco@blaakmeer.student.utwente.nl> writes:

>>     Kai> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XCal.help
>>     Kai> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XEarth
>>
>>     Manoj> 4.7. Programs for the X Windows system [...]
>>
>>  uhh, /etc/X11/Xresources.d ?  :-)
>
> No. The /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/* files contain the default
> resources for X programs. They aren't conffiles (and shouldn't be), so the
> package maintainer can change them any way he likes.

Agreed

> /etc/X11/Xresources
> is (or should be) for the sysadmin and should contain as little
> customisation as possible by default, IMHO.

Why as little as possible?

This has the disadvantage of not working when invoking commands with an
"xon" from another machine, as /etc/X11/Xresources is only read in Xsession
(ran when you log in via xdm or use startx, etc).  If I start an X session
by some other method (e.g. logging into a different machine) then it won't
be read.  Is it advisable to suggest all programs read /etc/X11/Xresources?
Or should I make sure that /etc/X11/Xresources is read with an xrdb command?

I suspect the former is too different from the widely accepted standards,
and will break things.

--
 -- Christopher Reed, Selwyn College, Cambridge --
 E-Mail: cr212@cam.ac.uk  WWW: http://dura.sel.cam.ac.uk/ [~cr212/]