Re: [Off-topic] Licenses (Was: How to reratify the DFSG ?)

On Mon, Jun 01, 1998 at 11:08:05AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> "Rev. Joseph Carter" <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Qt's license says the program must be GPL or similar to use Qt free.
>
> This is where the problem comes from, since the GPL is incompatible with Qt's
> licence, so this clause translates to ``you are not allowed to use Qt in your
> own free programs''  --- it's a Catch-22.

Has anyone sent this information to Troll Tech so they can do something with
it?

> and from the GPL:
>
>     2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
>   of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
>   distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1
>   above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

This should also make GPL mods to Mozilla a no-no since that would mean that
Mozilla would have to be GPL.  Mozilla is NOT GPL.  However RMS said GPL
patches to Mozilla was still possible.  Why is it possible for Mozilla and
not for Qt?

> I won't be touching it in a hurry though.

If you ask me, this is more a problem in the GPL than a problem in Qt.  Yes
Qt is not free, but by your own point you cannot use even public domain code
in a GPL program because the public domain code is not able to fit the GPL
license.  (how can it?  It has no copyright and is owned by "the public".)
Perhaps that's an extreme example, but not allowing code that is say X or
BSD licensed is a real limitation.