Re: Intent to package: eggdrop

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Johnie Ingram wrote:

> This software has served the #debian channel for over 9 months, and is GPL.
> >From the README:
>
>     Eggdrop is an IRC bot, written in C.  If you don't know what IRC is,
>     this is probably not whatever you're looking for!  Eggdrop, being a
>     bot, sits on a channel and takes protective measures: to keep the
>     channel from being taken over (in the few ways that anything CAN),
>     to recognize banished users or sites and reject them, to recognize
>     priveledged users and let them gain ops, etc.

This has been discussed before, after you proposed to do this on 'Mon, 17
Nov 1997 07:34:31 -0500'. The outcome was that it might be too dangerous
to package a program that can do as much damage as an IRC bot can do when
it is improperly configured. You might want to check out the discussion at
http://www.nl.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9711/threads.html#00801

The consensus about this may have changed since then, so I'm not saying
you should not package it. However, think twice and discuss it on
debian-devel before you do so.

Remco