Re: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

On Sat, May 02, 1998 at 10:52:48PM +0000, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:

> > But this is aimed at dialup users! You don't want a send-only MTA, as dialup
> > users presumably want to store their mail locally.
>
> Their mail isn't gonna get delivered by smtp

No? I know several dialup ISPs that do provide SMTP, including one with
170,000 customers.

> unless maybe fetchmail delivers it by smtp.

Exactly: surely everyone who uses an inferior ISP is going to run fetchmail
instead? So everyone wants to run an MTA locally. The alternative would be
to force people to use an MUA with POP built-in, which is far from ideal,
because that doesn't include some very nice MUAs, and requires you to go
online at the time you read your mail rather than setting up a cron job,