Re: monochrome cards

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> Bear Giles <bear@coyotesong.com> wrote:
> > That said, I can't see anyone using a MCA card as his primary
> > interface.
>
> I can see this, or serial console, being used for a server.

Actually, you'd be insane to put a MCA card in a server (you'd have to get
it second hand and so on). They generally slow down the machine because of
the limits they place on the ISA bus and require special mca screens!

We are talking about a screen that everyone has to go through that is
usefull to <1% of the users, it seems silly to make it the first thing
anyone sees!

Also, a serial console does not require black and white and a device for
the blind would not care about colour.

I wonder if you can probe the kernel to find out if it is using a MCA
card, it actually does know (diff memory address)..

Jason