Re: installation report of hamm 26.4.

> > f) xserver offered my to "configure now". this failed, because not everything
> > 	was installed, so it could not work.
>
> Can you be more specific?
>
> There is nothing in the xserver postinst that demands the presence of
> xbase.  I assume makedev and libc6 were installed and configured.  Were
> they?  They're both essential, so I assume they must have been.

if [ -x /usr/sbin/xbase-configure ] ; then
  /usr/sbin/xbase-configure
fi

if xbase is unpacked, but not configured, then this will call xbase-configure,
and then you can say "ok, let's create a config file". but without x11 fonts,
this will not work. (if x11 fonts are unpacked, but not configured,
this won't work too - fonts.* files are not yet created ...).

remove that code, or depend on xbase. i suggest to remove the code.

> > h) xbase: some files were already there, but empty (Xserver). maybe this has
> > 	todo with f). many people had problems with bo, when /etc/init.d/xdm
> > 	did exist, but was empty, and they did not press "I" to replace it.
> > 	now the same thing again ?
>
> What version of xbase was this?  Sounds like it must be 3.3.2-3 or earlier.

yes, that's ther version in hamm, that was on my mirror on sunday.

> If /et/X11/Xserver was empty, how did your machine know to look for the
> Mach64 server when starting X (below)?

i had to edit it...

> > h) xserver installation. the user needs your help !
> > 	i didn't know, what xserver i need, so i installed only vga16,
> > 	so XF86Setup will tell me more. result : fatal.
> > 	the first time it failed because mach64 server was not installed.
>
> XF86Setup depends only on the VGA16 server.  XFree86 3.3.2-4 always backs
> up the /etc/X11/XF86ConfConfig file.
>
> > this will confuse users !
> > 	i suggest to do an appropiate "echo xserver-<server>|dpkg
> > 	--set-selection" call, save the default config, and ask the user
> > 	to run dpkg again and continue later.
>
> This is a very poor solution.  I think 3.3.2-4 solves this.

ok, will look at it, and then come back.

> > ok, so i had to care about this myself, and started xf86setup later again,
> > 	doing the whole configuration again... this time i got :
> >
> > missing close-brace
> > ("if" then script line 1)
> > while compiling
> > 	"if {![getline]} { ..."
> > 	(file "/ ... /phase5.tcl" line 26)
> > 	invoked within "source /.../phase5.tcl"
>
> This is harmless (as you can see, the XF86Config file is created anyway),
> but fixed in 3.3.2-4.
>
> > XF86Config was written, but Xserver was not modified.
>
> Xserver is not modified by XF86Setup, it is modified by the xserver package
> postinst.

but is this wise ? i mean - the normal user doesn't know which server he
needs, before is is running xf86setup to find out. and since the script
does a test with the new server, every user will now say "ok, it looks good.
lets make it the default config". at least i guess.

> > xdm-start-server was not listed in /etc/X11/config.
> > calling xbase-configure did not help. this script should assist the user in
> > such stuff, because the debian way to do these things is only known to some
> > hackers.
>
> In XFree86 3.3.2-4, you may invoke /usr/sbin/xbase-configure with the
> "force" argument.
>
> XFree86 3.3.2-4 ships with xdm configured to start a local server, if the
> user configures XDM to run at all.

yes, that's much better. thanks.

> > ok, at least xbase-configure changed the xdm/Xserver file, after i added
> > the "xdm-start-server" line.
> > btw: this seems to be redundant information to me.
>
> All this is changed in XFree86 3.3.2-4.  The xdm-start-server option has
> been placed in limbo, and nothing edits /etc/X11/xdm/Xserver anymore; it
> must be edited by hand.  Detailed instructions are now inside that file to
> facilitate the process.

thank you very much ! looks like you did a great ! job.
i will burn the next cd's in a few days, and will install again.

andreas