Re: License advice

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Don't spread misinformation, please. Did we read the same license?
>
> I quote it her for you:
> ****
> Copyright (c) 1997-1998 by Armin Biere.
>
> Author: Armin Biere.
>
> Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any
> purpose on any computer system, and to redistribute it freely,
> subject to the following restrictions:

> 1. The author is not responsible for the consequences of use of
>    this software, no matter how awful, even if they arise
>    from defects in it.
>
> 2. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented, either
>    by explicit claim or by omission.
>
> 3. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not
>    be misrepresented as being the original software.
>

> 4. This notice may not be removed or altered.
>
> Armin Biere
> Thu Mar  5 16:48:52 EST 1998
> ****
>
> And now my comments:
> 1) He does not mention that selling is allowed. So you are not allowed to
> sell it.

Last time I heard, "redistribute freely" was taken to mean that you were
free to distribute it however you like (including by selling it)

> 2) He does not mention that you are allowed to redistribute the software
> after altering and marking as in 3, so you are not allowed to redistribute
> altered version.

"Altered versions" must be "plainly marked" and "must not be
misrepresented as being the original software".  It doesn't make too much
sense to require someone to mark modifications if they can't redistribute
them.