Re: vim, help files and vimrc

On Wed, Apr 15, 1998 at 09:40:30AM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Sat 11 Apr 1998, David Welton wrote:
>
> > Notwithstanding my dislike for things vi;-), vim is a nice program
> > used by a lot of people, so I though I'd try and fix some of the more
> > serious bugs.
>
> Is the vim maintainer not maintaining it then? AFAIK Galen Hazelwood
> <galenh@micron.net> is the maintainer.

It has a 'serious' bug that will prevent it from being released, as
long as a pretty long list of other bugs.  I haven't seen or heard
anything..

> I use vim quite a lot, but if I read you correctly, you've already fixed
> some stuff, so it might be best if you simply upload your fixed version.
> After that, if the current maintainer doesn't object, I would be willing
> to take over.

Cool, although I'm still not sure on precisely what to do about the
help file situation...  I guess something in the postinst script that
greps for the right lines in vimrc and offers to add them.
Hrm.. yuck, I find things like that distasteful.

> BTW: bug 16138 is no longer an issue with Vim 5.0, and should be closed
> (I've already followed up on the BTS).

A lot of the unofficially orphaned packages have big long lists of
bugs, which often may have been fixed by new versions...

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org