Re: Test Report (was: Re: boot-floppies_2.0.4 (source i386) uploaded)

On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 05:16:54AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> (Not sure if this mail ever came through, so I'll quote it as a whole. Sorry
> for duplicated messages if any)
>
> I wrote:
> >On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 02:22:55AM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> >> Another weekend, another set of boot floppies ready to be tested.
> >> And this one fixes some nasty bugs, like the "Can't resolve the NFS
> >> server name" bug, or the "Install program restarts after installing base"
> >> bug. I haven't had time to include pkgsel, but will try to do it in a few
> >> days. And now, give those little * a hard testing time! :-)
> >
> >Here the (probably) first testing report of the new boot disks:
> >
> >1) cosmetic:  When configuring the network, the screen says something like:
> >              "You have configured your base system but not your network",
> >              but network config is *before* the base system is even installed.

Fixed for boot-floppies 2.0.5.

> >2) irritating: When installing from a (not yet mounted) hard disk partition
> >               and entering the path to the main distribution, the following
> >               message appeared:
> >               " /usr/lib/dpk//methods/disk/setup: line 8: 200 Broken Pipe
> >                 find "$mountpoint$2" -follow -name '*.deb' -print 2> /dev/null
> >                 201 Done      | head -1
> >                 201 Done      | grep . > /dev/null"
> >               But all worked fine.

You meant when using "dselect"? Perhaps you should file a bug report
against dpkg.

> >3) bad: Still perl problems. Not with libnet, but dpkg-perl depends on perl.
> >        So I got error message after "install", switched to console,
> >        manually mounted partition with debian-image, manually installed
> >        perl, and then "configured". After this, "install" worked again.

dpkg-perl should depend on perl-base, as there's no perl but perl-base
in the base system and dpkg-perl works with perl-base.
I have filed a bug against perl-base, and I've seen it has another
long-standing packaging bug, so I guess its maintainer (Klee Dienes) is
really busy these days. Does anyone has the time to do a non-maintainer
upload?

> >4) bad: Keymapping was completely bogus again. The symlink in /etc/rcS.d is
> >        correct now, but I still got no de-latin1-nodeadkey layout (I saw an
> >        error message flashing that it couldn't find the file).

There was an error in previous boot-floppies set. The choosen keymap
wasn't copied to default.keymap at installation time. That bug has been
fixed in 2.0.4.

> >        After running kbdconfig manually, basis layouot was okay, but I
> >        couldn't enter german keys. I think this is because /etc/inputrc has
> >        "set convert-meta off" commented out. I think it should be the
> >        default.

In fact that was the default for a few libreadline*.deb versions, because
we wanted Debian to be latin1-compatible "out of the box", but Guy Maor
(readline maintainer) changed it back because leaving it "on" broke "META-x"
handling, and there were a few bug reports about that. (Guy also removed some
definitions that made the Home, End and Delete keys work). I guess it's time
(again) to discuss which should be the defaults. Perhaps asking the user at
installation/upgrade time.

> >                 After removing the "#", and therefore switching off
> >        meta-convert, I still had problems, because the wrong font was
> >        loaded. Editing /etc/kbd/config didn't help (what use has this file
> >        anyway). I'm not sure what actions should be taken here.
>
> I tracked this down to a missing LC_ALL="de_DE" for bash in /etc/profile.
> Coudl we implement something along this (for several shells e.g.) in the
> boot disks? With the correct keymap the locale setting should probably
> set, too.

May be. Is it OK to modify /etc/profile at install time? (/etc/profile is
a conffile of libreadline). I can hear the sound of the mythical can of
worms opening...

 	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna