Re: package pre-selections tool

Here are three package selections to start things off.  They are based
on the package priorities: The first includes only "base", the second
adds "important", and the third adds "standard".  The only real oddity
is that gcc and cpp are among "base".  Is this only because dpkg needs
it, to get the current architecture?  Otherwise, it might better be
moved into "standard" with the rest of the development tools.

Here are statistics on the three collections:

select-base.gz        42532 KB  main=74  contrib=0  non-free=0
select-important.gz   49710 KB  main=91  contrib=0  non-free=0
select-standard.gz   125344 KB  main=143  contrib=0  non-free=0

None have any packages from "contrib" or "non-free".

The difference in size between the first two is small, and I think the
added packages (including nvi and cpio) are important enough that we
should not bother with "base".

I am attaching the list of packages.  I'll mail the
(gzipped/uuencoded) selection files directly to Enrique Zanardi.

                                - Jim Van Zandt

-----  "base"  -------
adduser
ae