Re: [?] egcs increases C++ binary size dramatically

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Exception handling is a powerful feature, and makes other global error
> strategies mostly unnecessary. Therefore the size of compiled and well
> written C++ programs will not be larger than an equivalent C program. *And*
> the source code will be much cleaner, as you don't have to nest if()
> statements or such things.

Actually egcs just has a gross implementation of exceptions, the overhead
added for the stack unwinding is horribly high, I have't looked too deeply
but it may be a fixed overhead per-function and then some added stuff
depending on the function's content so if you have lots of small functions
you get burned really badly.

As I said before, the exception handling information doubles the size of
my binaries (+100k, + 240k, etc) which is pretty bad.

Jason