Re: Hamm frozen, Slink created

On 3 Apr 1998, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> dwarf@polaris.net (Dale Scheetz)  wrote on 02.04.98 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980402193429.2360A-100000@dwarf.polaris.net>:

> > > <puzzled look>  That seems odd.  Wouldn't be the ftp server that deals
> > > with following the symlinks to the correct file?  Or does the ftp client
> > > read the size out of the "dir" and only allow that many bytes?
> >
> > It is the ftp client which decides (if it has the brains) to take
> > advantage of the servers ability to follow symlinks (mc has a radio button
> > for "follow symlinks" in its copy dialog that works via the ftp file
> > system in the desired way)
>
> That seems quite nonsensical. There's *no* way to "not follow" a symlink;
> if you get or cd a symlink, following it is what will happen.

This is simply not true. Mount a Debian Official CD on a dos machine; use
Norton Commander and go to the msdos-i386 directory on the disk; select
some files and copy them somewhere on the hard disk; the result is a bunch
of zero length files.

The same exact thing occurs with some DOS and Windows FTP clients.

> I believe what happens is that some FTP clients try to parse ls -l output,
> and don't understand what ls gives for symlinks, and thus do broken things
> with the result.
>
> > DOS hasn't the faintest inkling of what a symlink is. As a result several
> > trumpet-winsock clients don't do the right thing, resulting in an archive
> > of zero length files.
>
> No, that can't be the reason. If you simply follow the RFC, there's no
> reason why you should know anything about symlinks for them to work.

While I don't agree. The issue is irrelevent. For whatever reason, some
DOS ftp clients are broken when it comes to symlinks.

> The problem lies with software that tries to make the protocol do what
> wasn't designed into it. Mirror is such a software; usually you go parsing
> ls -l output. That output is, of course, not standardized; look how many
> different formats mirror understands, yet there are always new ones. Those
> Windows clients obviously usually only understand "typical Unix" ls -l
> without symlinks.
>
> The right solution to this is the FTP MLST extension that's currently in
> the works (I mentioned it a few days ago in the mirror discussion). That
> one allows you to find out even more about files than ls -l, and it does
> so in a portable way. Hopefully, it will actually get used.

This will do nothing for existing broken software (which could have been
built to work correctly in the first place, but wasn't).

Luck,

Dwarf