Re: Starting X programs

    Dale> If I put it in the .profile of the user, how do I
    Dale> destinguish between a console login and an xterm one?

    Dale> Is there a better place for it?

For the user who loggged in at the xdm session (or whatever) the question
is irrelevant as the xauth code looks for the file in ~/.Xauthority
by default.  It's only an issue for those programs running as some
other uid.

So, the best answer is somewhere where it will end up in the environment
of all prgrams run by the window manager. ~/.xsession would be my suggestion.

--
Stephen
---