Re: Netscape sources

On Thu 02 Apr 1998, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Jaakko Niemi wrote:
>
> >  I tried the one from ftp1.us.debian.org and it's still running. I just
> >  don't know how to kill it ;-) Even kill -9 doesn't have any
> >  influence.
>
> Does it not qualify as a kernel bug if kill -KILL doesn't work?

I once had a process that kept on using system cpu time after the kill -9.
That worried me, until I discovered that it was writing a core file of a
couple of hunderd megabytes (at that stage the process is already dead,
but the time the kernel was taking to write that gigantic core file was
being added to the process's system time.

This was on NCR ^H^H^H^H AT&T SVR4, BTW.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands