Starting X programs

I'm still putting my new hamm system together and have run into something
that I haven't seen before.
I got X up finally, but I had to work through it. The xbase-configure
script doesn't work right.
Anyway, I got it working, but because of the patched together method of
configuring I fear I may have missed something.
I installed spider and tried to run it from the xterm (I didn't have menu
installed yet) and got the following:

Xlib: connectionto ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to server
Error: Can't open display: :0.0

However, once I installed the menu package, I can run spider from the
menu, but from an xterm I continue to get the above errors.

Can anyone clue me as to what is happening?

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
Still sigless