Re: Crypto export

Bill Leach wrote:

> The second issue is that this 'crypto export law' is so crazy that he
> might actually be right in that it might not be illegal for the US
> developer to 'mail' as opposed to 'email' the information to him (I
> don't however think that is the case for source code but rather only for
> encrypted data -- and NO encrypting the source would not then make
> export by mail legal).

I am not a lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt.

My reading of the old Itar rules (I have not looked at the new EAR rules
yet), was that export of crypto products in any form, through most
mediums were banned (i.e. you can not export a source print out through
the postal mail, as that is covered by the same laws, and therefore
illegal).

However, books are covered by a different set of laws in the US (same
kind of idea as freedom of the press).  In other words, if you publish
the source in a book, and mail the book, then it's all legal.  I believe
this is how a legal copy of PGP5.0 was exported to Finland, and the free
international version of PGP5.0

This is all from memory, from reading about this stuff a while ago, so
best check up on it first before taking my word for it.

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com
+1-613-224-7547   http://www.verisim.com/