Re: kernel or syskold not supporting flavours

Manoj Srivastava writes:
 > 	There is one place where the version/flavour is  stored that
 >  gets translated to a number; in the other place it still is a string.

OK.  AFAIKT from the kernel's code, this number is used to tell
individual parts of the kernel/drivers when the current version is
located before or after a change meaningful for that part.

 > 	The only program that looks for System.map and also looks for
 >  LINUX_VERSION_CODE (the number) is klogd, AFAIK. And there is a
 >  workaround for that. Does that solve this issue?

It seems to me that the reason is just that System.map includes this
numeric version instead of the string.  But I can't figure out why it
is so ?

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: