Taking over vnc, vnc-doc. Also xdm information request.

Hello!

On Thu, Mar 12, 1998 at 09:32:49AM -0800, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> Willst du vnc uebernehmen?

(transl: Do you want to take over vnc?)

Yes. I will take vnc and vnc-doc. *And* I will build svncviewer, a viewer
for svgalib!

For anybody who is wondering: vnc is virtual network computing, a
server/client protocoll to get the display of one computer in a window of
another. Control Win95 from Linux, or the other way round!

It is GPL'ed. There are servers (for X and Windows95/NT), and there are thin
clients (for X, Win, svgalib, Java(!) and maybe others).

I will package X server and clients for X, java and svgalib.

I have patches for gzip'ed X fonts support and a fix for the authority
handling of vncserver, so please don't file bug reports about this (I will
close them anyway in a few days ;).

I have a question about xdm, if anyone could help me with this, I would be
grateful. The server has the bability to connect to xdm via -query and
-broadcast. But I don't get it working, and I don't know what I'm doing
here... It is a big mystery for me. Could anybody drop me a few notes how it
can be used (I thought of /etc/init.d/vnc and a login screen on the
server...).

Thank you,
Marcus

PS: This is a patch for vncserver, if you want to try it out: Add
   system("xauth -f $xauthorityFile add $host/unix:$displayNumber . $cookie");
right after the other system("xauth... line.