Re: On new names for "Deity"

On Feb 28, bruce@va.debian.org wrote:
> You neglected to explain _why_ acronyms are better in this respect.
>
> 1. You can make any word an acronym with some effort.
>
> 2. I don't see how "grep" (an acronym) is better if in a foreign language
>    it is not "Global Regular Expression Parser" but an unrelated sentence.
>    Especially if the party doesn't speak Computer Scientist English. I can
>    still sound out any Latin-alphabet word in the International Phonetic
>    Alphabet: "Golf Romeo Echo Poppa".

I thought about acronyms like DPKG, IBM or PPP which you speak letter
by letter and not as a word. With such acronyms there won't be any
problems with the spelling of that word.

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter Tobias <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de> <tobias@debian.org> <tobias@linux.de>
PGP ID EFAA400D, fingerprint = 06 89 EB 2E 01 7C B4 02  04 62 89 6C 2F DD F1 3C