Re: source with main & contrib targets

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

> James Troup <J.J.Troup@scm.brad.ac.uk> writes:

> > Yes, packages in main must not require stuff not in main to build,
> > even source packages.

> I disagree, a little bit.

> If the source code is all under a free license, and it produces at
> least one free binary package (without relying on a non-free library),
> the source ought to go into free.

> Why?  Well the source _is_ free.  I can take the source and modify
> it to my hearts content.

One idea I had for motif applications: have the "build" and "binary"
targets of "debian/rules" generate the free (lesstif) packages, and
have "build-contrib" and "binary-contrib" targets for the dynamic
motif packages.

That way anyone can rebuild the package using the normal proceedure,
and people with motif can rebuild the optional parts with a few extra
commands.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu