Re: copyright question for sniffit

On Tue, Feb 24, 1998 at 12:17:54AM +0100, Sascha Runschke wrote:

> Hi all.ALL,
>
> yet another copyright question from me ;-)
>
> sniffit says :
>
> **
> This is free software, spread it if you want, but keep the package
> complete and unmodified. Do not use any code from this package without
> mentioning the source in your docs and advertisement. Do not use any of
> this code in Commercial Software/Commercial Packages.
> **
>
> Beside I assume he does not really understand the term "free software" I'm
> not sure what to do with it. Can we keep it in main/net ?

The other pointed out that this is non-free, but as the author could have
the right intention you could give him a little pointer to the debian
distribution, its goal and social contract and how a "good" copyright looks
like. And how good it would be for his software to be spread and used by
hundreds of people around the world, when it is in the main distribution ;)

Perhaps he gets the idea ;)

Marcus