Re: source with main & contrib targets

James Troup wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I may have mentioned this before; apologies. www-sql (which produces
> > binary package www-mysql, recently renamed from www-sql) now has
> > support for postgresql. www-pgsql can do into main (www-sql is GPL),
> > while www-mysql belongs in contrib because of mysql.
> >
> > If www-pgsql is to go into main, the source package www-sql must go
> > into main too. But building the binary packages will try to build
> > www-mysql too, which requires the header files and libraries from
> > mysql. Is this a problem?
>
> Yes, packages in main must not require stuff not in main to build,
> even source packages.

I have the same problem, but the other way around. mesa is completely
dfsg compliant. Recently, they added support for 3dfx graphics boards.
To compile this version, you need the glide library, which is non-free.
For other reasons (having to do with the license on the header files in
libglide) I have chosen not to compile this version yet. It does seem
silly that such a useful, and free, piece of software will have to
go into contrib if we wish to also distribute the glide based version.

- Jay