Re: Applixware / Packaging Proprietary Software

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Sven Rudolph wrote:
> > As I mentioned alien can use human-created patches, but I didn't
> > understand it enought to get it to work.
>
> That part of it is rather undocumented, but easy.
>
> It should be sufficient to build the packages by hand as you seem to be
> doing now, and then generate a standard debian .diff.gz file from them using
> dpkg-source, and install the file in /var/lib/alien/. Let me know if I can
> help with this.

Some problems:

- alien doesn't grok package renaming:

dpkg-deb: building package `applixware-base' in `../applixware-base_4.3.7-0_i386.deb'.

Generation of axbase_4.3.7-1_i386.deb complete.

This is no problem as long as alien only converts to .deb format. If
we wanted to install immediately, it would try to install the
non-existing axbase_4.3.7-1_i386.deb.

I have no idea how to solve this, so we probably have to accept this
limitation. I used to `dpkg --record-avail' and used dselect for
package selection, so I had to create .deb files anyway.

- I want to convert 13 packages using the same diff

  I could create symlinks in /var/lib/alien, but I still need a way
  to find out which package shall be created. alien could pass the
  name of the file by setting an environment variable.

- tiny: alien -d foo/*.rpm should process multiple files (I didn't
  test whether this already works.)

I just saw that latest alien already provides support for packaging
applixware. (BTW: Calling these applix is wrong; Applix is the name of
the company that owns Applixware ...)

But these patches definitely aren't for my version. It's by S.u.S.e
and provides support for Englisch, French and German.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>
http://www.sax.de/~sr1/