Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before freezing Hamm

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > > 13896: libc6            - emacs 19.34-11 core dumps on a libc6 system. [120]  (Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>)
> >
> > As far as I know, this bug can be closed. If I don't hear otherwise, I
> > will close it.
>
> I reported this bug.
>
> libc6 should conflict with emacs (<= 19.34-11) so that installing libc6
> will force an emacs upgrade. Otherwise emacs does not even start.
>
> Having a libc6-compiled emacs 19.34-12 that works is not enough.
>
> Installing libc6 should not break anything.

This is a completely different bug than the one reported. More to the
point it is one I can deal with.

Please understand the "emacs core dumps" is not equivalent to "emacs will
not upgrade".

> I know this may result in a long Conflicts: line in libc6, but this is
> the price we have to pay for being able to say the our packaging system is the
> best one.

This is not a problem for me ;-)

What I can never keep straight is which to use in this case Conflicts or
Depends? From what I know, Conflicts (with libc5 versions) is probably
more appropriate than Depends (with libc6 version).

I'll see if I can't add this during this weekend's build.

Thanks for the clarification,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-