Re: Intent to package `console-font'

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> Hello.
>
> The package does already exist, but I think it would be useful for
> others, so I would like to upload it for unstable.
>
> Package: console-font
> Architecture: all
> Depends: kbd
>  This package contains the file /etc/rc.boot/0consolefont which loads
>  a console font from /etc/console-font. Default font is iso01.f16, but
>  it may be changed easily using any text editor...
>
> This is my "poor's man" svgatextmode, for people (like me) who still live
> in 25x80 and don't want to install the whole svgatextmode package.
>
> I will make this package to "Conflicts: svgatextmode", if needed.

The idea is good, but I think the /etc/rc.boot directory may become
obsolete in the near future. You'd better place the script in /etc/init.d
and put a symlink in /etc/rcS.d (using update-rc.d, not directly), IMHO.

I am saying this because I found this text in /etc/init.d/rcS , the
script that runs everything /etc/rcS.d at boot time:

#
#       For compatibility, run the files in /etc/rc.boot too.
#
[ -d /etc/rc.boot ] && run-parts /etc/rc.boot

Remco