Re: dpkg development and gettext

> One of the things that came up after I did .20 that I would like to
> discuss further is dpkg's current dependence on GNU gettext.  Even
> though it appears on ftp.gnu.org and several packages, including dpkg
> and Gnome, use and/or depend on it, apparently the author doesn't feel
> it should be in release, and thus it sits in experimental.

 Note that only the utilities for creating the "message catalogs" need to be
taken from experimental, as libc6 includes the gettext library functions.

 And I think we should be distributing the gettext utils in main, if it
cannot be distributed it's non-free software, and we can't have
bash/fileutils/etc.. build process depending on non-free software that we
can't distribute.