Re: Gzipped .dvi files?

In an attempt to save the world from disaster, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     >> Converting dvi to ps is easy and fast and we have at least two
>     >> good previewers (gv and ghostview). They are much better than
>     >> xdvi.
>
>     > I know from previous discussion that lots of people will
>     > disagree with you on this point: xdvi is much faster and the
>     > output looks much nicer than the one of a dvi->ps converted file
>     > in ghostview--at least for me.
>
>  Try upgrading to `gv' and `aladdin' Ghostscript.  The text is very
>  crisp and clear.  The arrow buttons actually move the page, rather
>  than flipping it over.

As long as you specify "antialias", yes the text is clear. But it is also
at least an order of magnitude slower dan xdvi.

Also, it seems strange that we would have to use non-free utilities to
view our documentation. (OK, that may change any time now, as gs-4.*
becomes copylefted).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different
than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.