xinetd vs. rpc.portmap

Wow, this made me pretty much doubt Debian's quality:

I'm running hamm (i386) with xinetd-2.2.1-1 and netbase-3.03-1
installed i was almost going crazy because i just couldn't figure out
why neither telnet nor ftp wanted to run at all, wasting two hours and
a few downloads for unnecessarily reinstalling said packages, until i
finally found out what was really wrong.

I tracked down the problem to "/etc/init.d/xinetd" silently failing
(which is actually a bug by itself) because of the entry "test -f
/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap || exit 0" and no "/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap"
existing.  The latter has been renamed to "/usr/sbin/portmap" by the
maintainer of netbase.  I've looked at the bug database and found out
that this is in fact a *long* standing bug of the xinetd package
(http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/12/12021.html).  The bug report is not
only coming with a nice fix but is already 169 days old, which IMHO is
way too much for such an essential package.

On the other hand i'm not so sure if not possibly the netbase package
should be considered the culprit for changing /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap to
/usr/sbin/portmap and thus breaking packages relying on it.

I think this should really be fixed ASAP.

                             Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig