Re: lintian -- detecting hundrets of bugs within seconds...

john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> Perhaps old hands who have memorized the entire Policy Manual would find
> lintian a waste of time, but as a new maintainer, I would like to have such
> a tool.  I think it would save me time in the long run.

You know, this was exactly my reason for working on it :)

I had taken up a few orphaned packages, and was faced with the task of
determining whether they complied with current policy.  (That includes
the FSSTND and the packaging manual).

I did have a kind of mental checklist, but it was probably far from
complete.  And running by it for every package got boring fast.
That's when I started dreaming of a way to automate it all.

There are limits to how far this automation can be taken, of course.
But I figure that every check I write for lintian is one more thing I
don't have to worry about.  That leaves me more time for other things,
such as blasting nasty aliens to little bits.
(Er, I mean, working on my graduation project.)

Richard Braakman