Re: lintian -- detecting hundrets of bugs within seconds...

Hi,

John> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>> 1) one person could use lintian to check the whole Debian archive
>> and reports bugs, keeps track of these bug reports, etc.

John> Sounds good.

	Not to me. We have a single point of delay here, or else we
 have the possibility of this person being totally committed (but real
 world time constraints interfere). There probably shold be a person,
 but this shan't be our main line of qa.

>> 2) each maintainer runs lintian over his/her packages before
>> uploading them

John> One more thing to do, I don't like that :-)

	Huh? we are a;ready supposed to extensively test packages
 before releasing them to the wide world (is this not mentioned
 anywhere in policy too?) Requiring one extra run of lintian is a good
 idea. I in fact vite we build this into things like dupload for those
 of us for whom even this is a burden

	Oh, ;-)

>> 3) dinstall on master runs lintian over all newly uploaded packages
>> and rejects packages with severe errors (there will be an override
>> mechanism to bypass certain lintian scripts)

John> Bad.  Adds even more delay into the package upload procedure.  I
John> vote for #1.

	I am disturbed by this remark.

	And I say we should require this ``delay'' rather than pushing
 broken packages to the world. Doing the wrong thing really fast does
 not generally get one anywhere good.

	I think that all three should be implemented; it is about time
 we got back on track to the goal of providing an *excellent*
 distribution, rather than a distribution of many packages of
 questionable quality.

	manoj
 who often thinks of the good old days now
--
 Make yourself necessary to somebody.  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson