Re: is the social_contract packaged?

On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 12:57:02AM +0100, Jens Ritter wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > Is there a package with the social contract?
> > It should be included in the base package, marked essential/unremoveable.
>
> No.

Sure. It was just a joke, btw, but you snipped that remark that made it
clear (under my name, IIRC).

> If you intend to use your Debian workstation as a printserver
> with a small to very small harddisk and you want to remove it...

Well, the social contract is not too big, but if you insist ...

> I would like to see it included in dpkg-dev. I think that would be the
> right place.

No. I don't think that this is the right place. It is definitely necessary
for a debian maintainer to know the social contract, but I think that it is
important for the usrer, too. For every user, and dpkg-dev is not a package
that would install every user.

The reason why I would like to have it read by the users is that it would
make a bit clearer why certain debian packages are only available in
non-free. There should also be a notice at the beginning, that explains what
the social contract has to do with the division in main, contrib and
non-free.

Marcus