Re: Licence question

On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 02:57:46PM +0100, Magosanyi Arpad wrote:
> I have a queston about copyright. Is the following copyright statement
> dsfg compliant? If it is ok, please help me to find a mor formal licence
> for that author. I guess what he wants to encourage the users to give him
> credit for the work in the output of the software.
>
> ----------------
> You are free to use and distribute jamal as far as your actions are in line
>      with the GNU General Public Licence. I would also appreciate if you
>      could include a reference text on one or more of the pages that you
>      crate on a site using jamal. This can be done using the predefined
>      macro {reference}.
> ----------------

I don't see a problem with this (GPL + request), though the phrasing is
somewhat peculiar.

My suggestion would be to use the "standard" text:
:This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
:under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
:Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later
:version.
:
:This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
:ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
:FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for
:more details.
:
:You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
:with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, 59 Temple
:Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

And add the request after that text:
:The author requests that you include a reference text on one or more of the
:pages that you create on a site using this program. This can be done using
:the predefined macro {reference}.

Greetings,
Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks