Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy

On 18 Jan 1998, Guy Maor wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > Why should timezones need --force-anything to install?
>
> Because timezone is essential, and timezones is not.
> Conflicts/replaces doesn't work for this case (rightly so).

While your test is correct, a little research shows that it does not apply
here. First, timezone is a required package, but is not marked Essential!
Second, I just finished building the libc6 packages (which now include
timezones) and had no trouble installing timezones over the old timezone.
It worked just as expected. So the question returns to: Who was having the
trouble and just what their experience has been?

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-