Re: libc5 to libc6 auto-upgrade script

Remco Blaakmeer <remco@blaakmeer.student.utwente.nl> writes:

> On 14 Jan 1998, Brederlow wrote:
>
> > After installing libc5 you need to reboot to get the new utmp
> > functions working. Because the reboot command uses the old utmp
> > entries it cant detect the runlevel any more. One has to do a sync and
> > shutdown manually. The reboot command would just do a hardreset
> > without flushing the cache. If one is not carefull there the unpacked
> > libc5 / libc6 are still in cache and after reboot they are gone. And
> > guess what you system does without a libc5 (or a broken one).
>
> And what does 'shutdown -r -t3 now' do? If it does the right thing, the
> script could warn the user about which command to use to reboot the
> computer.

I don't think that it would work, the problem is the init process not
being able to read utemp anymore (if I understood the explanation
right). shutdown would then have the same problem.

What I don't like is that reboot just does an hardreset without any
sync and without asking the user.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn