Re: cron jobs more often than daily

> On 07-Jan-1998 11:35:45, Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> wrote:

> > > Use /etc/cron.often (or similar name). It will contain crontabs, not
> > > executable scripts. All of them will be conffiles, so the sysadmin can
> > > change them without fear of updates.
>
> This seems to be the consensus, and it's my favorite too, and looks to
> be easy to implement (especially given the nice way that cron reads/parses
> crontabs).
>
> Here's the proposal:
>
> In addition to reading /etc/crontab, the cron daemon will also
> read each file in /etc/cron.d (chosen for similarity to init.d). Each
> of the files in cron.d is considered a crontab "fragment", and should
> be formatted exactly as /etc/crontab (i.e. with the username specified).
> The end result will be just as if cron read the result of
>
> cat /etc/crontab /etc/cron.d/*

How about also moving /etc/crontab to /etc/cron.d/cron, so the behavior is
simply equivalent to the result of:

  cat /etc/cron.d/*

You could either get rid of /etc/crontab, have it as a symbolic link to
/etc/cron.d/cron, or have it contain a note directing the user to edit the new
file.

This way even cron abides by the /etc/cron.d/<package-name> standard.

Cheers, Phil.