Re: Is there a maintainer for the install doc?

> Thanks for using NetForward!
> http://www.netforward.com
> v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
>
> > > Is anyone maintaining the Debian installation manual?
> > > I know that Sven is no longer doing it. If not,
> > > we will need a volunteer.
> >
> > I'd like to maintain it.  I plan to  be active on the
> [snip]
> Great!
>
> One change that is needed is to change lines such as
> <A HREF="ftp:rawrite2.exe">rawrite2.exe</A>
> <A HREF="rawrite2.exe">rawrite2.exe</A>

I am afraid this is the shortcoming of debiandoc-sgml which generates the text
and html versions.  Should I manually (using a script) change the URLs after
generating the html version?

> This will allow the same pages to be used on an ftp site or
> on a web site.
>
> A few shortcomings of the current install docs:
>
> They don't even mention fips anywhere, let alone how to use it to avoid
> having to reinstall windoze (The developer who creates the tools to safely
> ,i.e. non-destructively, modify existing partitions during the installation
> should get the Most Valuable Developer of the year award).

Partition Magic does it just fine with FAT/FAT32 partitions, but it costs
money...

> Newbies could really use some guidance on deciding how big to make partitions.
>
> Divide into more pages so it doesn't seem so intimidating.
>
> We already have the easiest to maintain distribution. We could really get some
> converts if it was the easiest to install. Good clear instructions
> really make a difference.

Ok, suggestions recorded.  I also plan to heavily modify the bootdisk install
instructions.  From my experience with helping people on #debian and
debian-user, the instructions are not clear enough.  Another thing I want to
add is a section describing PPP setup (or maybe at least point to relevant
docs) since it seems to be the most frequently asked newbie question.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks.
--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com