Re: Debian 2.0 release requirements

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 bhmit1@mail.wm.edu wrote:
>
> > Just a note that the testing group would like to have an idea of how to
> > test the individual packages (before we were only seeing if it would
> > install).  All we are asking for is a checklist (and a script if you
> > want), which in the most general sense says: "this program should do this,
> > that program should do that".  Please send them to my email, with the
> > subject "Checklist request" (so I can sort them out).  If you've missed
> > the previous messages about this, just drop me a line and I'll give you
> > the full details and an example.
>
> If such scripts are written, I suggest they are run from debian/rules at
> package build time. (some packages already do this (some perl modules for
> example)) This way, testers will be able to focus their attention on
> things that can NOT be done automatically...

A request similar to this was already made, and decided against.  I don't
expect the maintainer the build the package on multiple setups, which is
what we are testing. Also, if there is not easy access to the scripts,
they will not be used by the testers (we don't have the time to download
the sources and binaries for all these packages).  The testers are urged,
but not required, to consider the scripts as templates, or rough ideas, of
how to set up their own scripts (therefore we get some individual test).

Final note, the scripts are _optional_.  It took a bit of convincing to
get me to agree with that part of the idea.  But I think there can be
benifits over the checklist only aproach.

I'm hoping this will be easier to understand once I get things organized
and start posting periodic updates and put up the web site.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds