Re: Isaac Asimov and the millenium bug [offtopic]

On  7 Jan, Juan Cespedes wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:
>
>> Continuing off-topic, I remember that when I was young (very young) I
>> read a nice proposal for a reform of the calendar, made by Isaac Asimov.
>
> 	Isaac Asimov suggests that we should always use the decimal
> system, with one day as the base, and forget about hours, minutes,
> seconds, weeks, months, years and so on.  For example, the actual date
> would be "10227.4042" (10227 days since Jan 1 1970, 0.4042 days since
> 12 AM (UTC)).  Using 4 decimals will give us a precision of 8.6
> seconds.

Humm, the one that I recall was to divide the year in 4 seasons and
count days per season instead than month (91), plus one spare day to be
used as a "foolish-day". The peculiarity was that in that proposal the
sequence of days, weeks, seasons was the same on every year, that is to
say that (I guess) the 3rd of spring was thursday on every year ...

He calculated the savings of all the economic activities because of a
highly prevedible calendar.

Fabrizio, flying highly offtopic :-)