Re: file descriptors??

According to Craig Sanders:
> > What I do is something different. I put this in /etc/initscript:
> >
> > # Set # of fd's to 256 for all processes.
> > ulimit -S -n 256
> >
> > That sets the soft limit for all processes to 256 fds. It can be raised
> > by an individual process if needed. My /etc/init.d/squid script contains:
> >
> > MAXFD=`ulimit -H -n`
> > if [ "$MAXFD" -gt 1024 ]
> > then
> >         MAXFD=1024
> > fi
> > ulimit -n $MAXFD
> >
> > So this way, the number of file descriptors for squid is 1024 max, but
> > for all other proceses it's limited to 256.
>
> i'll have to think about this.  Does this mean that you don't have to
> actually patch the kernel any more?  all you have to do is set the
> appropriate values in /proc/sys/kernel and then increase the ulimit?

No, you will still have to patch the kernel with the filehandle.patch.linux
patch. I forgot the original location, but it's also available at

ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/linux/kernel/unoff-patches/v2.0/filehandle.patch.linux

> i just ran 'ulimit -H -n' on my linux 2.0.32 machines and got 256.  Did
> you have to recompile the kernel to get more than that? what kernel
> version are you running?

2.0.33 + the above mentioned patch.

> (you may remember that i was the one who made the first debian package
> for squid back in june '96, and then ran out of time to maintain it)

Oh yes, ofcourse!

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lay in his bed
    miquels@cistron.nl  |  awake all night wondering if there is a doG