Re: What warrants a non-maintainer release number?

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>

> > Then we are still discussing "non-maintainer uploads/version numbering".
> > In that case I find the paragraph to be ambiguous, confusing, and not to
> > the point.
>
> Maybe, but the official maintainer should also be able to do a recompile
> of his own package :-) Why do you think we are still discussing
> "non-maintainer" uploads?

I don't know ;-) that's why I got into the discussion.

I had thought that we decided to add point numbers to the "debian" release
increment, so a non-maintainer upload of ae_962-17 would be numbered
ae-962-17.1 allowing the maintainer to do a -18 upload without confusion.

This is, however, a different issue from, "when do I change the version
number", isn't it?

Any binary package upload that differs by a single bit from the previous
version should be provided with a new version number.

At the very least, a change in the packages used to build said new package
should result in new information in the change log, asside from the
resultant changes to the binary. These are each sufficient to create a new
version.

What have I missed?

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-