Re: cron jobs more often than daily

Hi all!

This is my first message on this mailing list, I am sorry if I am not
allowed to talk.

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Topi Miettinen wrote:

> Hamish Moffatt writes:
> Maybe because if the admin changes the /etc/crontab, it might be difficult
> to merge in the modifications.
>
> We have cron.{month,week,dai}ly, why not add directories hourly, bihourly
> (every 30min), and quarterly (every 15min). That would give enough
> resolution for most daemons.
>
> I'd rather use cron for timing than daemon's built-in functionality:
> - less swapped-out daemons
> - more flexible configuration
>
> -Topi

What about a kind of tag-oriented style of appending to /etc/crontab after
asking the admin:

ipac-install suggest to append an entry to /etc/crontab, which starts ipac
every 15 minutes:

[line to be inserted]

The lines will be enclosed by # -*- install: ipac -*-.

This way a remove script will be able to remove the lines which were
inserted by install.

cu
	Torsten