Re: What warrants a non-maintainer release number?

On 5 Jan 1998, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> > How about this:
> >
> >    ``Whenever the source package is changed WRT to the last uploaded
> >    version, its version number has to be incremented. In addition, if
> >    the source package is not changed but the binary package changed
> >    (because it has been recompiled in another environment), the version
> >    number has to be incremented too (this is, the source package has
> >    to be changed and uploaded again) to make sure dpkg/dselect recognizes
> >    the changed package.''
> >
> > Any comments are welcome.
>
> Looks good to me.

I'm a bit confused by the context of these comments. What is being solved
here?
It was my understanding that the only time it is necessary to upload a new
source package was when the upstream source changed. All debian changes
are reflected in the diff file produced by dpkg-buildpackage. Any changes
to the debianized source (even a simple change in the dependencies) should
create a new and unique version of the .deb .changes .dsc and .diff files,
none of which requires either changing or uploading source files.

What am I missing here?

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-