Re: Linking shared libraries with -lc

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Richard Braakman wrote:

> I made a list of packages that include shared libraries for which ldd
> says "statically linked".  I plan to use this list to automatically
> generate bug reports (about 50).  However, I am unsure of the text
> to use.  This is my first try:
[snip]

First of all, thanks for collecting all the infos!

Basically, I agree with you. However, I think we should stick to the usual
procedure. That is, we should prepare a policy change which will then be
discussion on debian-policy and included in the next policy weekly posting
for approval. After that, the policy manual is changed and you could start
filing bug reports.

Everything else is likely to result into big flame wars. (Maintainers
usually don't like to see bugs reported against their packages unless
you refer to the policy manual :-)

Anyways, the bug report should probably not contain that much information.
The info should go into the policy manual. Then, you just have to refer to
section x.x in the bug report.

So, if you like, I'd appreciate it if you could come up with a suggestion
for the policy text. (If not, then I'll do it when I have time for this.)

Thanks in advance,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/