Re: need libc5 non-maintainer upgrade

'Christian Schwarz wrote:'

>On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Chris Fearnley wrote:
>
>> 'bruce@va.debian.org wrote:'
>> >
>> >Actually, I'm not sure there is a problem with libc5-altdev. There definitely
>> >is a dependency clash between libc5 and libc6, which David Engel thinks we
>> >should patch by producing an upgrade for libc5. This will have to be installed
>> >before hamm. It's not yet clear to me that we can make this automatic with
>> >pre-depends or not.
>>
>> I don't think we should make it automatic.  But it should be
>> documented in the libc5 -> libc6 transition FAQ.
>
>If it is possible, we should make it automatic, since most users don't
>read any documentation before trying it first. And "try and error" really
>fails here...

In general, you would be correct.

But pre-depends (or even depends) in libc6 on libc5 (which would be
required to make it automatic) would force everyone who intalls hamm
to also install libc5 in perpetuity.  Which IMHO is equally bad.  So I
suggest the tradeoff: document the transition for those who want libc5
development support.  But don't require it.  Unless someone sees a
clean solution?

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary