Re: Bleeding edge FTP repository updated to glibc2 + egcs.

Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de> writes:

> Has anybody already noted this here?

[ Cut - Posting about Yggdrasil packages - RPM/deb/slackware/yggdrasil from
        common source ]

Looks interesting!

I wonder if they are proposing a new source packaging format - or if they
are building all the binary packages from an unpacked tree.  Judging by
the contents of their build.log and install.log files, it seems they just
have one huge FreeBSD-style "make world" happening.

I looked at one of the SRPMs, and saw no Debian stuff.  I don't think they
have a source packaging format.  Too bad.  But they must have all the
source in place to do multiple binary packages...  they just haven't
put it up yet.

I'd like to see a common source packaging format that could be used to
generate any type of binary package.  I'd advocate using such a source
format for Debian - because then we could help organize people who want to
do 'contrib' packages for other distributions - and as a spin-off, reduce
some of the duplicated work in the free software community.  It would also
be an excellent step towards a unified binary packaging format.

Whether or not we want to deal with 'outsiders' is another matter altogether.
We might get distracted somewhat from our Debian integration work if we are
trying to produce portable packages.

Also, I'm not sure if our one maintainer per source package system is flexible
enough to deal with supporting multiple architectures, languages, and multiple
distributions too.

I don't think it would be too much work rigging the ability to generate
RPMs into our package building process, or to use Red Hat 'spec' files
with dpkg-dev.  Someday I'm gonna figure out how to do that.

Cheers,

 - Jim