Re: sysvinit: rc vs. r2d2 bahavior

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>This doesn't make much sense, and I have been critisized for implementing it
>this way.
>
>The thing was, I needed a way to run "stop" scripts for the halt/reboot
>procedures AFTER /etc/rc6.d/K99xxxxx. Since most of those scripts
>didn't look at $1 after all, I just used /etc/rc6.d/SXXxxxx. Then some
>scripts appeared that did look at $1. Now the easiest and most compatible
>way to fix this was to just say "OK, Sxx scripts in runlevel 0 and 6
>are called with the "stop" argument".

There were SXXxxxx scripts in runlevels 0 and 6 that looked at $1? What
are these SXXxxx scripts doing (I can't see why they'd be in any extraneous
package), and why hasn't anyone filed bugs against them?

The entire runlevel thing should be completely arbitrary, there should
be nothing special about runlevels 0 or 6 (Debian defaults aside).

Let's fix the packages instead of breaking the arbitration.
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"Unix and C are the ultimate computer viruses" -- Richard Gabriel