Re: Packages difference in different slink arches (was Re: slinkcd v0.95 m68k & Alpha organization)

On Wed 30 Dec 1998, Jules Bean wrote:

> > > gcc-i386-gnu: Linux host, HURD (i386-gnu) target cross-compiler.
> >
> > Hmm, I would have expected this then to be called gcc-i386-hurd, given
> > the way RMS insists on referring to linux as gnu/linux. Anyway, I can't
> > find any reference to the linux host in the name either. So how am I to
> > infer from the name that this should run on a linux host?
>
> You infer from the fact that it is a debian package, with
> appropriate architecture fields, that it runs on a Linux host!

No, the whole point of this thread was comparing packages in one
architecture to another. As debian also includes hurd, I have no
reason to expect that this package is only meant to be run on linux.
It's not apparent from the name, and _that_ is what I was talking
about (naming consistency). I find it strange that "gnu" should mean
"hurd".

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org