Re: fixing up /usr/doc

>> "BS" == Bruce Sass <bsass@ecn.ab.ca> writes:

BS> This is what I think a "seedocs" system would do (given: seedocs prg)
BS> - determine what package prg belongs to using dpkg
BS> - find the paths to the docs from /var/lib/dpkg/info/package.list
BS> - spit some HTML, containing links through the appropriate
BS> filters for the various formats, into a temp file
BS> - fire up the default browser or a scaled down version of Lynx

It is much easier to do. If you register all documentation with
doc-base (I haven't done this for my packages as well), dwww, dhelp or
a new program can create a page for each package.

So your seedocs package would e.g. call lynx
/usr/doc/dwww/dpkg/index.html, which would contain links to the
copyright file (all packages have to have one, so it doesn't have to
be registered), the registred docs. If they exist, then also a link to
the README.Debian file and a examples directory.

Local docs can also be included.

The logic is already there (doc-base), someone has to find time to
implement the thing you suggest. I prefer to extend the existing dhelp
or dwww instead of creating yet another documentation management
system.

Ciao,
	Martin