Re: GPL does not require CVS repository of Debian sources

Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> writes:

> 	a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding
> 	machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under
> 	the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily
> 	used for software interchange; or,

> Debian tries to do a), so we do not need to do b). The CVS repository
> may be nice, but it is not necessary for the GPL. The current problem
> is that we do have binary packages with no corresponding source package,
> and this should be disallowed by policy, if it isn't already.

But our ftp site fails to do (a).  We distribute binaries without
source because when the source for one architecture is updated, the
"dinstall" script deletes the old version of the source, regardless of
whether it is still needed for the binary packages of other
architectures.  I'm not personally advocating CVS, but rather, fixing
dinstall to not delete source that is still in use.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu