Re: Permissions of /var/spool/mail

>I'd be willing to compile a hamm version of imap 4.4-4 but where?  All my
>machines run potato.

It's quite possible to setup a chroot copy of an older version of Debian (or
even another distribution).  At one time I was playing with a hamm chroot
environment for compiling while using slink for the real setup on the same
machine.  All you have to do is to have an archive of a working hamm setup (I
believe that this can be taken from the install disk images but don't know
exactly how to do it) and then run "cd /home/chroot-dir ; chroot . bin/bash"
and you're in.
NB When you run "apt-get upgrade" in the chroot environment you may have to
mount /proc first, and it may result in the upgrade killing the wrong daemons.
A chroot build environment is excellent for a laptop (the way I use it), but
requires care if used on a multi-user machine.

--
I am in London and would like to meet any Linux users here.
I plan to work in London for 3 - 6 months...